The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Newhall Bridge Two Poster Forum Start a topic | Search
32 messages
Select a forum:
gjrk wrote:
Ach. I used the wrong term - looked it up in the dictionary at home. I should have said ledges or shelves. I've posted some pictures of both circles anyway, to hopefully show what I was on about.

Your cairn actually isn't far off date-wise. The nearest extreme of the range for Drombeg and Cashelkeelty is 794BC, Reenascreena a bit further back and thats the only info available. There's been just a few excavations over the years, the most recent being, I think, William O'Brien's at Lissyvigeen. Lettergorman's construction date could, I'd imagine, be anywhere within a long swing of 1000BC.

[I checked the bearing between the circle centre and the point that the quartz boulder seems to direct you to; 187.189 degrees, 1.129km distant, though obviously the stone is so wide and close that I could be way off in my assumption.]

Do the one cup rocks (thanks for the pics!) have a trend for facing in any particular direction, either in the way the slope faces or, perhaps, the way the rock is positioned?

Just saw your Lettergorman pic .That is absolutely typical of certain marked rocks found in hilly areas (mainly Perthshire ) but usually with 15+ cups . I'll mention some later .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
19th November 2008ce
10:30

In reply to:

Re: Two Poster? (gjrk)

1 reply:

Re: Two Poster? (gjrk)

Messages in this topic: