The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Detectorists 2
77 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
You're right that it's not damaging like the other two (and one of those was produced by PAS in a vain (as it turns out) attempt to save its own funding.

You could argue it two ways - they find almost nothing so no-one will emulate them or they ALMOST found something hugely valuable so lots of people will go out and do the same.

Or you could argue it another dozen ways that

1. They go out a find a 1970's ring-pull from a "fruit-based drink" eg. Tango, Lilt or Cariba. One discovers that Lance has an encyclopedic knowledge of progressive ring-pull variations in fruit-based drinks cans. And their shape which so differentiates them from standard Cola's and suchlike.

2. They could find the Mayor's lost chain-of-office which he had to abandon when he was visiting a dogging site one night. Intriguing. There were condoms there too - they didn't set off the detectors but do constitute a genuine health hazard and the BBC was perhaps criminal in its lack of condemnation of the discarded condoms issue and that of people in high office getting themselves into "compromising situations". Thus was the Profumo Affair born. Let us not forget.

3. to 12. I'll spare you these. Think them up yourselves. You could start with this one if you like... Lance digs after a beep on his machine and pulls out a metal item... "latin-inscribed brooch still with the enamalling!" "What does it say?" "Status Quo." The issue of the disposable nature of pop culture and band's obligation to clean up after their fans... Feel free to continue...

nigelswift wrote:
I wonder if Mr Crook will be able to resist the money shot - finding something that makes Andy and Lance millionaires?

Maybe you have missed key points in the series.

Lance already is a millionaire. He won the lottery at a point before Series One began. This is not about money... He only really wants what he cannot have... his now grown-up daughter back and all the lost years... Lance is really filling in time and the unfillable yearning space left by a lost past when he's out detecting and chatting to Andy.

Andy is only wanting a job as an archaeologist and to save his marriage. He is chronically depressed and sees little chance this ever happening. By the end of Series 2 it has happened. Mostly due to picking up a couple of old clay pipe fragments from a flower bed on the way into the interview his wife set up for him. Andy had up until then lost all hope in his future... when he's out chatting and detecting with Lance, Andy is finding an alternative hope to the life he sees slipping away from him. It is a minuscule hope but it seems to offer more hope than his current employment reality.[/quote]

nigelswift wrote:
My other gripe is I don't think PAS or recording has been mentioned. OK, the idea is that they've found nothin
reporting... [/quote]

Exactly. They keep finding rubbish. We keep seeing it. The table of finds is heart rending "buttons through the ages" etc. The only point in the series where they are trying to dig on a scheduled site... it is MOD site. A World War Two plane-crash one. Which they obtain legal permission to do.

And as for real treasure. Johnny Flynn posted one of these to me for £6. Lovely.

http://www.discogs.com/Johnny-Flynn-Detectorists/release/6925479

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
4th February 2016ce
11:34

In reply to:

Re: Detectorists 2 (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: