The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Disturbed archaeology
5 messages
Select a forum:
I added Ewden Beck cairn cemetery to the TMA database under three weeks ago. It is under a twenty five minute drive from my house, and as a result I have visited seven times in the last fortnight, fieldwalking what is I am now sure a major site in terms of extent - way more than Historic England think - and containing, concealed in the heather, bilberries and bracken a wealth of archaeology apart from a miriad of funerary, not clearance cairns, including stone rows and what appears may well be an alignment to a cairn on Broomhead Moor for the midwinter day's sunset. I rate here above the Barbrook area of Big Moor, hands down. While searching for a lost phone below the scarp nearby to the latter late last Sunday afternoon I heard two blokes voices. Today, on returning to that area I have found two aligned recumbent stones have now been dragged from their positions. Perhaps coincidental to the site add, perhaps not. While by doing so the distribution of packing stones revealed underneath shows in all probability that the stones were originally upright, my view is that such an act should only be done by trained archaeologists. I have drawn the line at moss clearance, leaving stones in situ, and even winced slightly at moss removal. My (many) pictures, including of the disturbance found, as well a fieldnotes soon. What do others here think of the rectitude of such an act? I wonder if those responsible will read this...not inferring that I think they're TMAers, but doubtless the forum and TMA are widely read.

Reply | with quote
spencer
Posted by spencer
31st January 2016ce
19:01

Messages in this topic: