|There is a definite barrow (marked on the OS 1/25000 as "tumulus") on the highest point of Godrevy headland at SW 58124331. Finds were pretty impressive.
This prominent round barrow, 1.6m. high, is at SW 58124330. A narrow excavation trench cuts through it from N.E. to S.W.
Surveyed at 1/2500. (2)
A small Mesolithic flint-chipping floor was found beneath the barrow.
The finds which included a perforated mace-head, cores, microliths and scrapers, are in the collection of Prof. C. Thomas.
An A3 type penannular bronze brooch of the 1st to 3rd centuries AD was found during the trial excavations in 1950.
It occurred in the main traverse cutting near the SW circumference of the barrow mound, some 9 inches below the turf.
The hoop is oval with a maximum diameter of 2ins, having flattened terminals and two flattened mouldings below.
The brooch was placed on loan at Truro Museum but now appears to have been lost.
Posted by thesweetcheat
16th July 2012ce