To the south-east of Ulceby and on the west of the Roman road now known as the A1028 are the remains of one of the Giant's Hills long barrows. Parking is difficult, but there is a small opening into a farmers field in a gap in the hedgerow that may take a few drive pasts to find. From here the barrow is a short walk down the hillside, and an excellent place to pass a peaceful hour or so.
It was excavated by a C. W. Phillips between 1933 and 1934, who found a large wooden enclosure which contained a small platform of chalk blocks. Laid out on these blocks were the remains of 7 adults and a child - interestingly there was a line of 8 posts across the north-west end of the barrow - were they linked to the number of burials?
In the same way that many southern barrows have large blocking stones at their entrances, this barrow had a fašade of huge split timbers arranged in a crescent at its south-east, it has even been suggested that these may have been carved or painted. From this frontage, two lines of posts ran almost the entire length of the barrow and parts of it seem to have been divided up with a hurdling fence.
To the south there was another barrow that has now sadly been destroyed by ploughing.