A boat dating back to the Iron Age has gone on show at a Lincoln museum. The log boat, which has undergone four years of conservation work, is now on display at the city's new archaeological museum - The Collection... continues...
A Bronze Age axe head unearthed in a Lincolnshire field is baffling archaeologists - because they think it is too heavy to use.
Made of stone, the axe head weighs 4.4lb and was produced some time between 2000BC and 1600BC. It was found when a walker stumbled across it last summer in a farmer's field near Scotter, north of Gainsborough... continues...
Oval cropmark, diameter c.25 m of henge monument, class II, with opposed entrances known from JK St Joseph AP's BCG82-84. Ditch is encircled by series of pits. Neolithic flints from fieldwalking include cores and scrapers. (See also TF 27 SW/14). (1-2)
TF 254 716. Shearman's Wath henge. Scheduled no. LI/265. (3)
Small sub-circular enclosure, known from cropmarks, situated at c 36.5m above OD. Enclosure is defined by faint, irregular cropmarks of a ditch with an entrance to the NW; a less certain entrance to the SE and a possible break to the ESE. The enclosure is surrounded by a partial circuit of pits of which 19 are visible.Internal diameter 17-5-18.5m. Described by Harding and Lee as a probable henge. (4)
The Neolithic or Bronze Age henge referred to by the previous authorities was seen as cropmarks and mapped from good quality air photographs. The henge has an internal diameter of c20m and the diameter of the outer ring of pits is c26m. The henge is more accurately located at TF 2538 7168. (Morph No. LI.138.1.1)
This description is based on data from the RCHME MORPH2 database.
North of the village of Kirton in Lindsey – along the B1400.
We parked near the public footpath sign and I walked up the muddy track which skirts around a small lake. There is no public right of way to the Barrow but it can be seen on the opposite side of the lake from the water’s edge – a grass mound in a field.
‘The barrow is 1.5m high and 45m in diameter. The barrow has twice been investigated by antiquarians. The first investigation (1867) found a layer of partially cremated bones and two urns in the centre of the mound. The second excavation (1911) found a layer of burnt earth’.
Orgarth Hill Farm is on the opposite side of the road to these barrows.
The Ghost of Orgarth Hill. - This hill, a few miles south of Louth, some 40 years ago was haunted by a man riding on a shag or shaggy horse, which suddenly appeared without any warning, and kept up with persons until they were terrified, but usually it appeared to people riding or driving, who did not notice the horse and its rider, until they looked to see what had terrified their horses, which stood trembling with fear, until they bolted down the hill.
From Lincolnshire Notes and Queries volume 2, page 272. The implication seems to be that this apparition might be connected with the shagfoal or tatterfoal, a kind of furry horsey supernatural cousin of the more widely known big black dogs like Shuck.
The Stone used to lie in the field where the civil war Battle of Winceby took place. It's marked on a map of 1880 but then seems to disappear.
There was the large stone in Winceby field, where soldiers had sharpened their swords before the battle. This was a stone of fearful interest, for much treasure was supposed to have been buried under it. Numerous attempts have abeen made to get at this treasure, but they were always defeated by some accident or piece of bad luck. On the last occasion, by 'yokkin' several horses to chains fastened round the stone, they nearly succeeded in pulling it over, when, in his excitement, one of the men uttered an oath, and the devil instantly appeared, and stamped on it with his foot. 'Tha cheans all brok, tha osses fell, an' tha stoan went back t' its owd place solidder nur ivver; an' if ya doan't believe ya ma goa an' look fur yer sen, an' ya'll see tha divvill's fut mark like three kraws' claws, a-top o' tha stoan.' It was firmly believed that the lane was haunted, and that loud groans were often heard there. -- Notes and Queries, vol. ix., p. 466.
[The Big Stone at Slash Lane, near Winceby]This stone cannot be moved, at least all attempts have so far failed, especially on one occasion, when it was with much difficulty reared up by ropes pulled by men and dragged by horses, for on a man saying, 'Let God or devil come now, we have it,' the stone fell back, dragging over the men and horses who were hauling at the ropes, and something appeared standing on the stone, doubtless Samwell the Old Lad, that is the Devil, who had been so rashly defied. -- Lincolnshire Notes and Queries, vol. ii., p. 235.
Copied from 'County Folk-lore v.VII: Lincolnshire' collected by Mrs Gutch and Mabel Peacock (1908).
This article in 'Horncastle News' (10th April 2002) describes that the stone got buried for many years in the field, but that in 1970 Frank Scott and his colleagues on the farm finally moved it out of the way - it took heavy lifting gear though. "Me and my mate were in that hole as quick as we could and dug down as far and fast as possible but we never found any treasure, nor devils either. By the number of broken ploughshares all around, we thought it was quite likely the stone was cursed, by every farmer and farm hand involved no doubt."
The folklore is similar to many prehistoric stones in that it's connected to the battle, has treasure lurking under it, and is said to be immovable. It's even got supernatural marks on it from the devil. Pretty much a stoney folklore full house.
In a field on Sawcliff Farm, in the parish of Roxby-cum-Kisby, North Lincolnshire, there is a deposit of uncommon character and singular beauty. It is particularly interesting to the lover of natural objects. Locally it is known as the "Sunken Church." An ancient tradition informs us that it was a church attached to one of the monasteries, and was buried by a landslip; or according to Abraham de la Pryme, the Yorkshire antiquary, who visited it in 1696 (Surtees Society, vol. liv.), the tradition is that the church sunk in the ground, with all the people in it, in the times of Popery.
[...] The stone curtain [..] consists of a mass of calcareous tufa deposited by a petrifying spring trickling out of the limestone rocks, as seen in the second illustration. It is a wall-like mass, some ninety feet or more in length, having a varying thickness from fifteen inches to two feet at the top, and a height above ground of nine feet at its highest point. From the higher end where it first leaves the ordinary slope of the hill, there is a gentle fall along the ridge until, about half-way down, a big step of about four feet occurs. Then the ridge continues to descend, until at the lower end it almost comes to the level of the ground again.
Undoubtedly the most striking feature about it is a groove two inches wide and one and a quarter inches deep, which runs along the ridge from end to end, and also continues down the step above mentioned. This groove is well shown in the first illustration.
The groove looks quite strange. I'm glad this curious bit of the landscape has survived in an area that's so full of quarries and mines. It's slightly remiss that dragons aren't mentioned at all in the article. But the idea of the 'sunken church' is one found elsewhere in stoney folklore (e.g. Sunkenkirk). The photos and exerpt are from an article in Science Gossip, v7 (1901) by Henry Preston.
Small Late Iron Age settlement enclosure, destroyed in the 1940s during construction of an airfield runway. Still shown on the 1949 "Provisional" edition of the OS 1:25000 map.
An irregular, almost D-shaped enclosure, defined by a single bank and ditch was excavated by W F Grimes in 1942-3. (Sited at SK 9443 2295). The area enclosed was about 240 feet by 210 feet and had a simple entrance in the middle of the straight, western side.
Round huts, defined by drip-water gullies, some of which intersected indicating successive occupations, were found. There were also other gullies, pits and walls representing storage arrangements and a smelting site. The pottery was predominantly Belgic in type with a little Roman material including fragments of a glass bottle and a bronze brooch. The whole suggests an occupation of mid-lst century AD. Finds to be placed in Grantham Museum.
Site obliterated by construction of airfield runways.