Showing 1-20 of 154 links. Most recent first | Next 20
Many Systonians have probably heard of the Moody Bush Stone but have never seen it, as it is tucked away in a farmer‘s field off a Bronze age track now known as The Ridgemere, on the road from Syston towards South Croxton. This stone is thought to mark the spot where the Danish and Norman Court of ‘The Goscote Hundreds court’ met twice a year, where not only minor crimes but also disputes between tenants were tried and justice handed out, from Anglo Saxon times until the Middle Ages.
According to legend, it gave Syston its name (Sitestone in the Doomsday Book of 1086) but it is now thought that Syston is named after sixth century Angle Saxon called Sigehae and that ‘ton or tun’ was his homestead. It stands about 115cm or 45 inches above ground and 145cm or 57 inches around it. On one of the faces is carved ‘Moody Bush’ indicating that it was a meeting place. Moot is the old Danish word for meeting.
A curious custom was upheld before a trial at the Manorial Court of Sir John Danvers of Mountsorrel could commence. The Lord of the manor and his steward had to cut a piece of turf from the site and carry it to the court, as though the ground itself bestowed authority. This custom was carried out up to the beginning of the nineteenth century.
"The Scheme's database holds records of artefacts and coins found by the public, whilst pursuing a wide range of activities (the majority from metal detecting). We do not record details of objects found by archaeologists, and these data can be found within the local Historic Environment Office."
"The half a million objects recorded mark was reached on March 21st 2010."
Details of the Dolaucothi Gold Mines and surrounding area from the National Trust. Site includes admission prices and opening times, for both the mines and the campsite.
Although this site was discovered by O G S Crawford, in the same way and at the same time as Woodhenge, it was not explored untill the late 1990's.
A sub circular enclosure is visible as a slight earthwork, though it was originally noted on air photographs. It comprises a slight bank with internal ditch, possibly interrupted by two entrances or causeways to the southeast and northwest. The diameter is circa 65 metres to 72 metres. The site has been interpreted as a possible henge, though alternatives cannot be ruled out.
A circular mark 60 paces in diameter, 193 in circumference, visible on APs 4276 and 9122. (1)
SU 20645260: A henge, slightly oval on plan and much reduced by ploughing, measuring some 45.0m in diameter internally. A probable entrance is visible in the SW and there is the suggestion of another in the NE. Surveyed at 1:2500. (2)
A probable Class II henge, oval in plan 72m NW-SE, 65m NE-SW. The ditch 0.6m deep with an inner bank 0.2m high. A causewayed enclosure is present on the southwest, with another, ill-defined on the north east. (3)
Sub-circular enclosure, visible as a slight earthwork, defined by a bank and internal ditch and possibly broken by two entrances. Possible henge. (4)
( 1) Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) - OS 6" in Devizes Museum (O G S Crawford)
( 2) Field Investigators Comments - F1 ANK 21-MAR-72
( 3) Council for British Archaeology Group 12: Newsletter 7, 1972 Page(s)16
( 4) by A F Harding ; with G E Lee 1987 Henge monuments and related sites of Great Britain : air photographic evidence and catalogue - BAR British series1 (1974) - Site 193 175 Page(s)292
A round barrow recorded as a bowl barrow by Grinsell, may have originally been a ditched bell barrow.
(SU 20275684) Oldhat Barrow (Tumulus) (NR) (1)
A large round barrow overgrown with elders. "Signs of habitation within kerb".(2)
Collingbourne Kingston 29, a large bowl barrow. "Oldhat Barrow", but in AD 921 'Brad beorh' and 'Three Knightes burrowe' in 1591.(3)
Old Hat Barrow is identical in site with (on) bradenbeorg of the Saxon charter of AD 921. 'Wide barrow', v brad,beorg. It is
'Three Knightes Burrow' on a map of 1591, perhaps from three parishes meeting here.(4)
A ditched round barrow, heavily overgrown but 4.2 metres high with 1.0 metre deep ditch. The top has been mutilated. Still known as 'Oldhat Barrow'. Published survey 1:2500 Revised.(5)
Originally recorded as Everleigh 7 by Goddard.(6)
( 1) Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) OS 6" 1926
( 2) General reference - Rec 6" (OGS Crawford undated)
( 3) General reference - VCH Wilts 1 pt 1 1957 169 (L.V Grinsell)
( 4) General reference - EPNS 16 Wilts 1939 343 (Gover Mawer & Stenton)
( 5) Field Investigators Comments - F1 MJF 29-JUN-72
(6) General reference - Wilts. Archaeol. Natur. Hist. Mag. 38. 1913-14. 253 (E.H Goddard)
The Wessex Hillforts Project is an extensive survey of hillforts in central southern England.
The book is compiled by Andrew Payne, Mark Corney and Barry Cunliff and is available in paperback ISBN: 9781873592854.
The publication is now available to download free in PDF format from English Heritage. See above.
Showing 1-20 of 154 links. Most recent first | Next 20
Hail and Welcome
Chance was born in Ratae in the year of the Rat, and grew up in the territory of the Corieltauvi. Now living days walk west of Wale-dich (Avebury), on the border between the Atrebates, the Durotriges and the Dobunni.
Practical experience of excavation on Neolithic, Bronze-age, Roman sites.
Enjoys exploring on bicycle, with wild camp provisions along Roman roads and ancient Celtic tracks. Interested in the various tribes, how they divided their land, their agricultural calendar, their common beliefs and ritual systems. Often attends the tribal meetings held at Avebury and Stonehenge.
Contact - Chippychance on UTube