The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Falkner's Circle Forum Start a topic | Search
Falkner's Circle
Re: Cup marks, or weathering?
28 messages
Select a forum:
Pete, I've wondered about those myself. And there are loads of others in the Avebury area. The general views appears to be that there are no cupmarks at Avebury, or indeed Wilts, and there is a sort of cultural black hole between Cornwall and Derbyshire, which is strange in itself.

Naturally, that causes me to look all the harder, in the hope of a knighthood, and I can't walk past a stone without checking. I've found 2 intriguing things:

First, a stone in a hedgerow up on the downs, the other side of the Ridgeway, with several such holes, much deeper and more regular, with deposits of metal in the bottom of them. Are there other known instances of that in the area?

Secondly, the farm facing the junction of the "Avenue" road with the main road at West Kennet, in the stone wall projecting forward towards the road, a perfectly regular six inch deep hole drilled all the way through. I know there are holes left by roots that can be a bit like that, but this seems too perfect. Perhaps you could look.

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
31st December 2003ce
08:27

In reply to:

Re: Cup marks, or weathering? (Pete G)

Messages in this topic: