The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cheetham Close Forum Start a topic | Search
Cheetham Close
Re: Appeal for advice
45 messages
Select a forum:
ocifant wrote:
Roy, have you contacted Cornwall Archy Soc about this at all? They have a 'Monument Watch Scheme which this would probably fall under. We carried an article about it earlier this week - http://heritageaction.wordpres[...]/monument-watch-cornish-style/

Might be worth having a chat with them...

Hi Alan, good to hear from you again.

I began this quest of mine by contacting the Senior Archaeologist at Cornwall's HES (Historic Environment Service) as they work directly with English Heritage, Natural England and local landowners and Commoners to ensure the best management of the archaeological sites on Bodmin Moor. They also work with local volunteer groups being set up such as the Caradon Hill Project and the CAS who aim to carry out vegetation clearance and monitoring at sites across the moor.
It was suggested I took the short cut as I was wanting to remove the actual turf from the stones and not just remove the vegetation such as gorse bushes and bracken which is allowed. I was more concerned about the stones that had fallen just below or level with the surface because vegetation clearance doesn't allow for this so consulted with EH due to their designation.
EH then arranged for me to meet a Field Officer on site to discuss the situation and I thought it went very well but await their decision. I have been asked in the interim to become a 'Monitor' for them (lots of people do this) when I visit the more unvisited sites and report back directly to them on the condition of the sites which of course I'm more than happy to do.

Just as an aside and while the officer was in the area, I asked if there was any chance that the big triangular stone I had discovered at the Hurlers could be re-erected. 'There is no triangular stone at the Hurlers' was the reply. Not so said I and took her to see it. She was of the opinion that it should be re-instated and was going to recommend it. Let's wait and see.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
14th February 2013ce
08:33

In reply to:

Re: Appeal for advice (ocifant)

1 reply:

Re: Appeal for advice (ocifant)

Messages in this topic: