The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cheetham Close Forum Start a topic | Search
Cheetham Close
Re: Appeal for advice/Trethevy Quoit
45 messages
Select a forum:
While we are on the subject of sites becoming damaged/unkept, I meant to mention Trethevy Quoit, or rather the field it is situated in.
When the EH rep was with me at Minions to check out the Craddock Moor stone circle she had time to kill afterwards so we went to see Trethevy Quoit just down the road from Minions.
Jeepers, what a state the field is in right up and into the base of the cairn surrounding the quoit. The reason? Horses, loads of them!
The monument is on private land but with allowed access for the public and at the moment you can turn an ankle over easily due to the severe cutting up of the surface (well it's just muddy earth now!).
The rep took pix but was quite shocked by the mess, as was I, because I've never seen any stock in the field before. Much more importantly though the quoit is being used as a rubbing stone for the horses and to do so they have to walk up the small cairn bank. That's bad enough but it frightens the life out of me because the structure I firmly believe has reached its point of no return and can't afford to make any further movement. I had the EH engineer out last year to inspect it after it moved 3/4" in one year. The main support orthostat is now 21.9 inches out of the perpendicular which is horrific for a stone just 10'-3" tall.
I didn't have my own camera with me but will visit again tomorrow to take my own pix to see if anything has been done since it was reported. I doubt it has because Dave Cane rang me earlier to ask if I'd seen the state of the place and has himself reported it.
It is quite a large field but the silly sod who owns it has not put up an electric fence to block the quoit off so consequently the horses go right past it to the gate to make friends with passers by who make a fuss of them.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
15th February 2013ce
20:30

In reply to:

Appeal for advice (Paulson)

Messages in this topic: