
The “Deershed Plantation” stone nicely labelled left of the “Stamfordham” stone in the Stone Room of NUM.
The “Deershed Plantation” stone nicely labelled left of the “Stamfordham” stone in the Stone Room of NUM.
The “Deershed Plantation” stone, May 2001.
Stan Beckensall in “Prehistoric Rock Art in Northumberland”, Tempus 2001, page 162:
“The earlier name of Deershed Plantation may have been ‘Island Plantation’. If so, it is the place where in 1934 Mr davidson reported ‘an unrecorded camp’and ‘the vest pocket edition sculptured rock found by Mr Wake and given to the Black Gate Museum’. The rock is now in the Museum of Antiquities, Newcastle.”
We photgraphed the “Deershed Plantation” stone in the ‘Stone Room’ (not open to the public) of the museum during the FMD-crisis in May 2001.