The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Great Orme Mine Forum Start a topic | Search
Great Orme Mine
Great Orme Meet, Sunday 27th July
3 messages
Select a forum:
Please let me know if you intend to come! (Barry & Eileen - already have you noted!)

Great Orme Meet Sunday 27th July 2003

Coming off the A55, take the A470 into Llandudno; take the road up to the Great Orme, heading anti-clockwise around the Great Orme road; you will soon meet a toll booth; there is a £2 charge per car toll road to get access to the top of the Great Orme. Last time I visited, this included parking, too.

There are a few different locations to park; I propose parking to the north of the chair-lift cable, grid ref approx. SH768835. We will try to arrive there about 10:20, maybe earlier.

Meet at Bronze Age Copper Mines Entrance 10:45am
http://www.greatorme.freeserve.co.uk/
£4.50 per adult
£3 per child
Unders 5s are free

I spoke on the phone to them - excellent level of customer service given, and said people do a self guided tour which takes about 45 mins to an hour.

We will have a picnic lunch soon after the mines tour, just after midday.

Following that, there are a number of possible features to take in on the headland:

Lletyr Filiast Cromlech
Pen Y Dinas Hillfort
Hwylfa'r Ceirw Stone Rows
Maen Sigl Stone
Standing Stones to the west (not on OS map, but mentioned on guide map)
Remains of another Cromlech
Possible hut circles
Ancient field system

As well as outstanding views of the North Wales coast!

If you want more information, Llandudno Tourist Information is 01492 876 413

Reply | with quote
Posted by The Werg
20th July 2003ce
16:54

Messages in this topic: