The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   South Wales Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
South Wales
Walton Basin
13 messages
Select a forum:
It's a long story which I shan't tell here, but as luck/fate would have it, the morfeparents relocated last year to Wales. Pa morfe built a study onto the new family home, which overlooks The Walton basin. I was awestruck by the fecundity of the place, none moreso than the view over The Whimble, a prominent hill which I photographed 3 weeks ago whilst saying my fare-thee-wells before departing across the Pond. The Ritual landscape thread set me thinking, and a little investigation today has blown me away. Wlaton Basin is of course home to the Four Stones, and maybe more significantly Hindwell pallisaded enclosure, a vast section of land managed for unknown purposes during the Bronze Age, arguably the largest enclosure of it's type in Western Europe. I want to know more. Always fascinated by Western Hills, and having spent my life so far hypnotised by the sun setting over the Severn Valley and the Welsh Hills, it comes as no surprise to find this link:

http://www.megalithicsites.co.uk/4stobache1.html

I'll email the webmaster for further details. The whole area is peppered with Neolithica. Anyone know more, I'd be grateful?

~O~!

Reply | with quote
morfe
Posted by morfe
2nd August 2003ce
15:05

2 replies:

Re: Walton Basin (baza)
Re: Walton Basin (Kammer)

Messages in this topic: