The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Longstone (Exmoor) Forum Start a topic | Search
The Longstone (Exmoor)
Re: Query about nearby feature
5 messages
Select a forum:
I have a copy of Grinsell's The Archaeology of Exmoor (1970) and found it useless in my quest. He only mentions a few of the many stone settings and gives no exact locations.
Much better is EH's The Field Archaeology of Exmoor (2001) which does give grid references for 2 stone circles, 8 stone rows, 57 stone settings and 37 single or paired stones on Exmoor.
Burl's From Carnac to Callanish (1993) is worth consulting for the rows and some settings.
I've not been able to find a copy of Quinnell and Dunn's Lithic Monuments within the Exmoor National Park (1992).

I like to do my research when planning a field trip and, to be honest, I've not come across any stone settings described as a square, apart from the quincunxes which have a fifth stone in the centre.

Reply | with quote
baza
Posted by baza
27th July 2004ce
09:59

In reply to:

Re: Query about nearby feature (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: