The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Arthur's Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
Arthur's Stone
Arthur chucking rocks about
11 messages
Select a forum:
Looking at the recent posts, I see Rhiannon has been busy. (Now Ms Rh, I saw you blowing your trumpet there on that competition thread, and I've got to say 'Cheers'. Especially for the stuff on Simonside, and the link to the Tyne and Wear records.) The possible associations between folklore, electromagnetic effects on the brain and prehistoric sites fascinate me. I'm darn sure there's a causal link in there somewhere.

But this Arthur's stone stuff has me pondering too.

In particular, the reference to the strange markings on a nearby stone that are associated with Arthur's ability to heave heavy rocks.

On my recent visit to the crags near hadrian's wall, I found a folklore ref to a marked stone, allegedly thrown by Arthur (not the one on here as Arthur stone http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/6949 which is close to the crags too), but another stone near that Jingling well. I'm wondering if there are many other stones bearing this name that also have marks? And are the marks natural or not?

Reply | with quote
Hob
Posted by Hob
4th March 2005ce
13:47

Messages in this topic: