The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Maeshowe Forum Start a topic | Search
Maeshowe
Entymology of Maeshowe - Part II
85 messages
Select a forum:
This first response was from an amateur, but a highly respected and published one:

"A Celtic origin for the Maes- element is possible but
there is one sticking point. Maeshowe is a later name
for the site, which supplanted Orkahaugr during the
earldom or later.

So, although I've thought about this long and hard
over the years, it makes no sense for a Celtic name to
supplant a Norse name, in an area where the language
was a derivative of Old Norse and particularly given
the fact that practically all our placenames have a
Norse origin (although there are a few badly corrupted
elements that could, and probably, have a pre-Norse
element).

It doesn't fit the other Maes- placenames either.
Mount Maesry, for example is on the seashore."

This second response is from an academic, a Dr of Celtic studies:

"I cannot pretend to be a place-name expert, but fortunately my colleague <name removed> is an expert on Norse place-names. I've taken the liberty of copying this to him. When I hear the name Maeshowe I do think automatically of Brittonic 'maes', but Orkahaugr pretty much convinces me that the -howe part of the name is Norse -haugr. On top of that the place-name evidence from Orkney in general tells fairly emphatically against the idea of pre-Norse survivals: it would be strange for one element, maes, to survive alone.

My instinct would therefore be that maes- has a Norse origin, and has for some
reason come to replace orka- as the 'specific' element denoting this particular
'haugr'. It would be interesting to know when maes- is first attested there."

I am awaiting responses from two further, similarly qualified, experts in Celtic/Pictish history, and one expert in pre-Viking Orkney.

I do agree that it would be most unusual for a Celtic name to replace a Norse one, especially given that Orkney is an area where the locals would have been speaking a language closely related to Old Norse at the time. However, I do feel that the Celtic definition of the name seems to be too neat a physical description of the sites to be a pure coincidence. My own thoughts are that an older Celtic based name persisted in oral use among the locals throughout the "viking" period (probably while the site was referred to in writing, and "officially" as Orkahaugr) and eventually came to outright replace (or merge with) the Norse name, or maybe even that the Norse on the island for some reason just started to use an older Celtic element in their own name for the places.

I don't like the general "it's not Norse so it can't be right" argument - ok, so there's no certain Celtic source for "howe", but there's even less of a Norse source for "maes-".

Anyway - I would be delighted to hear anybody's thoughts on any of this, either here or by email.

Lian

PS If any of the experts I contaced happen to read this, please accept my apologies for posting without your permission. I have removed any clues to your identites.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Lianachan
22nd April 2005ce
09:45

Messages in this topic: