The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Maeshowe Forum Start a topic | Search
Maeshowe
Re: Survival
85 messages
Select a forum:
Firstly, let me congratulate you on the quote from Bede, both beautiful and remarkable. Perhaps I need to reevaluate my opinion of him!

I too agree that there are marked similarities between British and Japanese culture but .... on thinking over ....

> I can't help thinking (perhaps hoping) that some of those ancient traditions did survive... perhaps in ways yet to be discovered <

.. the old ways do still survive to a huge extent in Britain. It is only that familiarity does not allow us to see them as such.

Religious festival are a very strong case in hand .... look at your Christmas cards ..
...90% are holly, mistletoe, robins, snow scenes etc'..... Easter, there are EGGS everywhere, everything to do with fertility and the rites of spring. Halloween, the day before all saints day .... when I lived in England I was always shocked that my english pals believed Halloween to be an american tradion ....PAHHH! ..as a lad I can remember making turnip lanterns ...a tradition going back to the ghost fences of pre-history, and I'm not that old (watch it!)

I could rant on on this but you get my jist.

FTC

Reply | with quote
follow that cow
Posted by follow that cow
3rd May 2005ce
18:40

In reply to:

Survival (Littlestone)

1 reply:

Re: Survival (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: