The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wolstonbury Forum Start a topic | Search
Wolstonbury
Re: LOST SUSSEX! Wolstonbury, Hollingbury, Sars...
10 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Mooncat,

Glad I have whet your appetite for this under-rated site. It is not just my wishful thinking that it could be a henge, several archaelogists have remarked on it's henge like construction. I have been in correspondence with the last person to excavate there (Miles Russell, 1995) and his report seems to infer that it is most likely an early Bronze Age henge, with possible later 'defensive-remodelling' during the Iron Age. It is a hard site to photograph due to it's size, I just wanted to convey the very unusual inner-ditch arrangement.

It is a shame so much of the archaelogical evidence has been dug up and nabbed during the post medieval flint mining. It could potentially tell us so much more.

I would really encourage you to visit this site if in the area and please let me know what you think. It is way more charismatic (and less fort-like!) than the nearby Devils Dyke and Ditchling Beacon. I am always happy to meet up on the hill for a chat, as I live in Hurstpierpoint, just to the north.

Kind Regards,

Spaniel

Reply | with quote
danielspaniel
Posted by danielspaniel
9th May 2005ce
16:55

Messages in this topic: