The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wolstonbury Forum Start a topic | Search
Wolstonbury
Re: daniel s re: old boat corner
10 messages
Select a forum:
Hi olly,

Where did you hear this stone was called 'old boat'? Old boat corner is down the road a bit, isn't it? I reckon this baby was definitely stood up at one point, and when it was I think it's quartzy whiteness would have been visible from afar. I must get my binoculars out on Wolstonbury and see if you can see it.

I think the stones at the dewpond were the ones I found, but it'd be great if you could point them out at some point. Must get back there and check the view.

I find the romanised pagan shrine theory very convincing. We know this happened a lot, and the Saxon burials show the site had some lasting significance. I don't buy the theory that they were buried there as criminals or outcasts as it was on an old boundary. Not sure of any Roman Temple action on Hollingbury though(?)

I wonder what that carving is all about? Quite small, isn't it? Wonder when it was done?

Reply | with quote
danielspaniel
Posted by danielspaniel
27th May 2005ce
12:54

Messages in this topic: