The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Drumhallagh Upper Forum Start a topic | Search
Drumhallagh Upper
Re: Lovely Breconshire court tombs
27 messages
Select a forum:
Has only court tombs (Severn-Cotswolds type). Then there's nowt north until Capel Garmon a serious distance away. There are several to the south-east in Gwent.

However, west of the Breconshire court tombs there are to my knowledge no other court tombs, only portal dolmens and dolmens.

So if portals and court tombs were contemporary, and as the boffins believe portal dolmens are a kind of Irish export (? possibly making that bit up, I know passage tombs are), how come they didn't export court tombs to the west of Wales?

What type of court tomb is it? it looks like a terminal one (with only a central chamber), boffins used to believe this was the earliest type, but I'm not sure if this idea is still in favour.

Ty Isaf court tomb has a funky rotunda behind two (?) lateral chambers and a later smaller tomb added onto the back of the rotunda, so reworking is not out of the question.

Reply | with quote
Posted by elderford
7th June 2005ce
10:17

In reply to:

It's pretty hard right now ... (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: