The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Rombald's Moor Forum Start a topic | Search
Rombald's Moor
Evidence of damage to the Twelve Apostles
7 messages
Select a forum:
Hi all,

How is everyone. This is my first post (I actually only joined to report this...).

I went to the Twelve Apostles stone circle on Ilkley Moor last night (Tues 21st June 2005) and found evidence of considerable done to at least one of the stones (and possibly a second one). Basically the top third of one of the stones has been hacked off and from what I can gather, this damage took place very recently (within the last week or so??).

I have put up a brief web page showing some photos of the damage taken with my cameraphone, which is found at www.biroz.net/evi/evi.htm I think you'd agree, the damage to this ancient monument is at best sad.

Sad that this has happened at a time when Ilkley and Rombalds Moors have just won the right to roam - but if this is a result, maybe it should have been a 'privilege to roam'. I dont think damaging 4000 year old megalithic sites should be part of that right!

Anyway, what I am looking for is advice about where to go with this. The suggestions I've been given so far are Ilkley Town Council and/or National heritage but to be honest I dont really know how to go about this. Any suggestions/ offer sof help?

Thanks

Bruce

[email protected]

Reply | with quote
Posted by firstfox
22nd June 2005ce
19:50

Messages in this topic: