The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   County Kerry Forum Start a topic | Search
County Kerry
Re: Now a court tomb in Kerry?
33 messages
Select a forum:
Cloch Mor wrote:
FourWinds wrote:
Well, it was a lovely day. Loads of sun.

The stone circle is lovely and now forms part of the terrible Bonane Heritage Park, which costs four euro to get in. The circle is great, as I say, and so is the ring fort right next to it. Sadly, the park doesn't take in either of the wedge tombs in the immediate vicinity.

What ruins the Heritage Park are the signs, which are plonked right next to the monuments. I can't believe they got permission to erect them so close.

However, it is good that places like this exist, enabling people to see things they may not otherwise see.

As for the court tomb ... not a sign of it. This doesn't mean that it isn't there, but it's not part of the heritage trail (different to the one above) in Milleens townland.

I did go to the most amazing stone circle I think I've ever visited, though! A beautiful axial with an inner circle and boulder burial. Extermely difficult to get to and wonderfully remote as a consequence. More of this when I get time to write it all up.

Also popped into the lovely little four-poster at Gortnatubrid (sp?), but a bull with an attitude as big as his dangly bits was claiming it as his. I wasn't going to argue with him and had to settle for looking at it, and him and his harem, over a worryingly flimsy electric fence!

I think I jumped the gun on the last post. Looks like you had an eventful
time. Damn those weather people. Sunday was lovely too.

Would like to hear more about the stone circle, where would you be posting your write up? Here or elsewhere?It would be nice to see it when
I am down visiting the outlaws in Kerry again.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Cloch Mor
1st September 2008ce
09:33

In reply to:

Re: Now a court tomb in Kerry? (Cloch Mor)

1 reply:

Re: Now a court tomb in Kerry? (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: