The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   County Kerry Forum Start a topic | Search
County Kerry
Re: Now a court tomb in Kerry?
33 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
FW , any chance that when photographing motifs with radials ,gutters etc . e.g. Drumcarbit , that you take a compass reading of the doodah ?

I'd love to, but I rarely have time. I usually note the direction that a picture is taken from and that's probably the best I'll ever do. Most of the time I'll have a scale with me.

I see my role as a facilitator, not a recorder. I do these trips to find the ones that people can go and see for themselves, and the ones that they needn't bother going to. If someone wants to follow me around and take all the necessary readings then my visits help them to do so.

All I can say is that I'll try to do a little bit more, but can't promise to be consistent. I'm not a very organised person. I'm always leaving things in the car. I'm also fundamentally lazy, so I'll hardly ever go back for things I've forgotten. I just wish I had someone to carry my 12kg camera bag for me :-)

Ultimately, I'm in a race. A race between me and the NRA to see who can get to these places first. I visit with a camera and GPS. They visit with a theodolite, a JCB and tarmac.

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
2nd September 2008ce
07:30

In reply to:

Re: Now a court tomb in Kerry? (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: