The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Anglesey Forum Start a topic | Search
Anglesey
Re: They don't make 'em like this any more
6 messages
Select a forum:
FourWinds wrote:
12. Tregwehelydd Standing Stone

The above is from a 1965 booklet titled - Ancient Monuments of Anglesey, published by the Ministry of Public Buildings and Works.

When was the last time you saw a gov't publication with that sort of info in? The book is obviously gonna be useless for transport information now, but the info and diagrams in it are great. Nice plans of the tombs etc. I particularly like the photo of Trefignath before restoration. (Warning: It also covers later Xtian stuff and castles)

Well I feel conned now - I have a similar guide to North Wales from 1954, my reprint is 1970. All I get is:

Single stone, 8 1/2 feet high, 1/3 mile NW of tregwehelydd farmhouse, admission at any time." I have to find my own bus routes.

And I also have Cadw guide to Ancient Monuments on Anglesey - this is split into driving tours of the island - but does at least have more info on the monuments. it tells you to "ask permission of the farmer, who may help with directions".

sam

Reply | with quote
sam
Posted by sam
2nd October 2006ce
23:36

Messages in this topic: