The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Arrow Stone II Near Ffridd Newydd Forum Start a topic | Search
Arrow Stone II Near Ffridd Newydd
Re: Are these prehistoric?
7 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Stubob,

The Gwynedd Archaeological Trust lists the arrow stone as prehistoric but the stone with concentric squares as Roman. I posted photos of both because they are so close together but I certainly don't think the squares one is any older than Roman and could indeed be much younger.

The whole subject of arrow stones is shrouded in uncertainty. I've now seen 7 different stones in the area south of Llanfairfechan. It's tempting to believe that because of their proximity to one another they must be of similar origins and age but the types of markings e.g. their depth and length are very different to one another. In fact the main thing that the 6 "arrow stones" have in common is their lack of any discernible pattern which perhaps led to the Victorians talking about arrow sharpening but I'm convinced that's a complete red herring. Mind you, I haven't got a better explanation!

When I've got a chance (perhaps in a month or so after moving to live in Germany) I'll have a good look through my photos and some others that Bill Chapman has sent me and try to make some more useful comparisons between them.

Idwal.

Reply | with quote
Idwal
Posted by Idwal
23rd July 2007ce
23:25

In reply to:

Are these prehistoric? (stubob)

Messages in this topic: