The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Ballynahow Beg Forum Start a topic | Search
Ballynahow Beg
Re: Rock Art and Astronomical Events
23 messages
Select a forum:
Paulus wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Animism doesn't preclude marking astro events , it might be part of the belief system .

Yep.

tiompan wrote:
I don't think that most open air RA has any archaeoastro connection but if they are there it should be recorded and considered . There are a few monuments that are accepted as having intentional astro alignments and they often have RA in or on them .

Very true - though there are still some folk who'd even argue the astronomy ingredients! I tend to find that it's those who don't gerrout too much. Would you agree though: caution is probably the best ingredient in this arena. Of the hundreds of CRs in Yorkshire for example, less than a handful throw out any obvious astro-ingredients. And I'd even take that figure into the notion of the designs being star-maps (though would love to be proved wrong!).

I think a lot of astro stuff is very debatable even without proving intention . If RA mapped anything landscape or sky , it would have been sussed by Simpson's time , plus totally different maps right next to each makes for confusion

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
11th September 2007ce
21:32

Messages in this topic: