The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Isle of Purbeck Forum Start a topic | Search
The Isle of Purbeck
The price of the past?
17 messages
Select a forum:
"At that point, the landowner and finder will receive a reward to the sum of the market value of the hoard, believed to be about £80,000."

Quoted in the news item Rhiannon posted about the finding of 500 Bronze-age axe heads http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pag[...]p;in_page_id=1770&ito=1490

Question: £160 per axe-head – is that a fair price?
Question: Who decides the 'market-value' for these objects?

I was under the impression that when a hoard like this was found they're national treasures and that we all own them so there is no market value as such. I'm writing from Ireland and this may be case here (correct me if I'm wrong), so I find it bizarre that an individual can claim ownership of something of such importance. Do the landowner and finder have to hand them up? I guess that must be the case if they are to "claim their reward" but then where does the "market value" come in?

confused!

Reply | with quote
ryaner
Posted by ryaner
22nd January 2008ce
10:29

Messages in this topic: