The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Caer Bach Forum Start a topic | Search
Caer Bach
Re: Mr Postman?
22 messages
Select a forum:
StoneGloves wrote:
Look - I was there ...

Aron came to look at my blackstone last week and said it couldn't be carved because the stone was undercut. His opinion was that the marks were the result of geological forces. You can see the tool marks so I was quite disappointed. My reasoning is that the undercuts show that the marks are artificial. We both agreed it was Millstone Grit however. It was like he was looking at a different stone to me although we were both in the same place - an abandoned graveyard. We both agreed that nobody is much interested in cup-marked stones in remote locations.

Next I'm going to try and raise the EH archaeologist and see if he'll take a look at the Kirkhaugh stone circle and the remnants of the Long Mortuary Enclosure which is inside it. I don't hold out much hope there either. It has occurred to me that the lmr (Smallhenge) may have been packed with smaller stones and that these stones are the ones heaped up on the river banks.

Sorry, but too cryptic again for me , Marvellettes Look I was there ???

Maybe after lunch .
Anyway, tool marks , suggestive of metal rather than the pick marks from rock , don't immediately inspire thoughts of rock art in the usual tradition , even contemporary sculptors use stone . Cup marked rocks don't lose their interest due to be more than an hours walk from the nearest road . If you think that's remote I'm sure I can come up with something simpler and even more remote that would still inspire awe and be worth the effort to those interested .
A long mortuary enclosure inside a stone circle , another first ,surely . Without excavation how can you tell 1) typology 2) it's only a remanant ? Only two recorded in Northumberland .There is the barrow at Kirkhaugh which would be a more likely association ."Why don't you check and see , one more time for me"

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
26th March 2008ce
12:32

In reply to:

Re: Mr Postman? (StoneGloves)

1 reply:

Re: Mr Postman? (StoneGloves)

Messages in this topic: