The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Northumberland Forum Start a topic | Search
Northumberland
I Hear The Sounds (Of Distant Guns)
36 messages
Select a forum:
Returned to find no damage to my camp at all - for the very first time this year. The shooters were out on Tuesday and Wednesday, on the other fell. Tuesday the weather was so bad you wouldn't want anyone to go out in it, torrential rain with bits of hail mixed in, and on Wednesday the last person wasn't off the hill until 7pm - which is a quarter century record, by a two hour margin. Just after this landrover disappeared the sky brightened and some hints of sunshine were seen. Friday morning started bright but turned to overcast just as the beaters formed a line. The morning went normally but they didn't start to shoot in the afternoon - as I left, later on, the Air-Sea Rescue helicopter flew over on a beeline for their location. Probably a heart attack. The shooting owner will develop a reputation for being a Rain God - and there's not a lot can be done to shift it.

Last week of my wall work coming up - all being well. I've been filming, on 8mm, the shepherd's smout. The film needs bright light for exposure and a dark night for loading. There was a piece on the radio about Northumbria police moonlighting to supplement their salaries and the list of occupations was quoted. There was just one artist listed and, I guess, that would be our Wildlife Liason Officer. He can paint and he's good-looking ! Here's a link to an interview he did (http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout[...]ast/series1/hen-harriers.shtml). Many's the time I've asked to come to LINE!! in a dishevelled condition, with a beatup jalopy, to push a wheelbarrow and observe the keepers. At the end of the season the few birds of prey realise they're not going to get shot by me and forage nearby. On Thursday morning there were three kestrel feeding near me - I filmed one - and, in the afternoon, three buzzards. The keeper was out that night till late - at least eleven - and then back again about six thirty the next morning - then the shoot started at about nine ...

I'll try and film David's Cairns this week, if there's a sunny evening. Try and get some Kodachrome flare. The last week.

This topic is locked
Stoneshifter
Posted by Stoneshifter
25th August 2008ce
10:00

In reply to:

Weren't You Once In Alvin Startufts? (Stoneshifter)

Messages in this topic: