The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   County Kerry Forum Start a topic | Search
County Kerry
Re: Ballingowan Henge
17 messages
Select a forum:
Cloch Mor wrote:
Now that got my attention. I spend a while around Clogher
(Ballimacelliot) a few years ago doing a field project. The area you mention
was not near me, also the N22 Tralee bypass / Tralee to Bealagrellagh
runs very close to the spot you mention.
At http://www.kerrycoco.ie/Roads/[...]Main%20Report%20Volume%202.pdf You will find a report on the N22 Tralee bypass and in it is the
reporting of monuments are listed, but it does mention a ring
barrow at Ballingowan on page 236 of the report. In fact from pg 229
onwards there is a lot of mention of Archeology.
It would appear that it was not on the proposed route so I assume if
there is no visable site above ground they do not bother with it.
Not sure if you would see much now as there would have been a lot of
plant tracking back and forth during the construction of the road.
I hope to be down that way towards end of August so I may take a look
myself.
Hope this helps in some way.

Just read thru the report, its tricky to visualise what they are at without a map.
Clock Mor you are obviously familar with the area. It mentions a hill-top enclosure / henge near ballycarty. I wonder could this be it?
If you are down that way at the end of August and we can figure out where this monument is, it might be worth a look.

I wonder does anyone have the Winter edition of Archaeology Ireland 1998, it might put this to bed once and for all.

Basically I was curious about it to see how accurate the archaeology.ie website is (its not included on it) plus well I wanted to get an idea for the accuracy of the evidence of the authors of Uriels Machine. It just seemed pretty random to use an obscure site in ireland as backup to their argument that you could use a submerged henge for astronomical observations.
Plus well I love henges, they are such cool monuments, would love to see more in Ireland. Arch.ie has two other henges listed in Kerry and I was thinking about making a Co. Kerry henge trip some day.

Reply | with quote
bawn79
Posted by bawn79
31st July 2008ce
10:31

In reply to:

Re: Ballingowan Henge (Cloch Mor)

3 replies:

Re: Ballingowan Henge (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: