The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   White House Folly Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
White House Folly Hill
Re: Interesting site - anyone else been here?
8 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Hob,

Thanks for the comments.

re the ring features. The one to the SE of the TP is the most pristine (also the one showing the ring in my photos). The other two are nowhere near as clear on the ground and stand in much rougher pasture on more boggy ground. It's quite possible that they all date from dramatically different times. If I was to guess I'd plump for the ring NW of the TP being the oldest - plus it has the central feature not seen in the other two.

One thought that did occur this morning as the name of the site. There are two farms near the site, to the south White House farm and to the north White House Folly farm. I'm wondering if the "Folly" part of the name could be significant and one or more of the three rings might be a more modern "tribute" to other ring features in the area? I don't buy the "tree ring" explanation in Keys to the Past, apart from not knowing what one is that is :-) These are significant features and a lot of effort was put into their construction, whatever the date. Just putting a wall around what would be a small tree plantation doesn't wash with me. It also doesn't explain the features inside the rings.

In addition to the sites you mention there is also the ring enclosure at Honey Hill, about 15 mins walk away, plus other features in the valley to the South.

The hole feature is one of the most dramatic aspects of the site, as is the standing stone to the north. The resemblance to Beanley Plantation is remarkable, both holes taper inwards so could well be man-made - again I'm no expert but I'd love one to have a look and give their opinion!

BTW I got the measurements wrong in my comments on the photos, the notebook is A6 so around 15cm tall, and the large vertical sided "cup" was roughly 15cm across.

All of the rock marking were faint as the rock itself is sedimentary in nature and well weathered - again I'm no expert so the marks could all be natural but are worth checking by someone more experienced than myself. The whole hill is covered in rock outcrops to the south, SW and west, you could spend a whole day easily looking to cover all of these.

The day was very cloudy so I couldn't see Cheviots but I'm sure they are directly in view as I could see across to the Crag Hill site at Langley Moor, one I'd checked earlier in the week and that had clear views in that direction.

When I'm up I stay in Embleton so I've taken to checking sites near there not already on TMA, these are interesting in that by chance it's an area where the coastal plain first meets high ground and as far as I can see it's not an area that's been covered a lot before?

Reply | with quote
mascot
Posted by mascot
20th April 2009ce
10:39

Messages in this topic: