The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   White House Folly Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
White House Folly Hill
Re: Interesting site - anyone else been here?
8 messages
Select a forum:
mascot wrote:
as far as I can see it's not an area that's been covered a lot before?

There's not a lot of it represented on tma Mac, if that's what you mean. There are a goodly few sites out there, and a few of them, places like Whitehouse Hill don't seem to have been much scrutinised since the early 19thC. Bearing in mind that any site with cairns/cists etc that was surveyed before the mid-19thC will have had any rock art overlooked, as they didn't know to look for it back then, it makes for a list of places that could be worth checking over for the odd cup mark or two.

Also bear in mind that in relation to what you're saying about the area being the first ridge above the plain, back in the mesolithic, it's reckoned that what's now the coastline used to be the first ridge visible from the coast. Hence things like the mesolithic house at Howick. But, it also means there a quite a few BA burial sites dotted along the present coast. Cists occasionally pop out of the dunes after storms, like around Low Hauxley. Just to mention just a few off the top of my head, there's a cist at Beadnell, supposedly right on the edge of the dune line(it's on keys to the past), as are the now lost bits of rock art from Seahouses, North Sunderland and Bellshill quarry. The iffy cups of Alnmouth, the cup marks at Wandlylaw, the possible rems of a stone circle at Early Knowe.Then there's whatever may be hiding under the foliage of the Kyloe Hills. Could be allsorts of stuff kicking about. I think the main prob is that over the centuries, the coastal plain has been so heavily worked, that people thesedays assume that any prehistoric stuff will have long been used for building anti-reiver defences, or enclosure walls etc. Each time I go past Hulne Park, I wince to think how much rock art may have gone into the many miles of the Duke's backgarden wall.

It's good to see that someone's going out and looking :)

Reply | with quote
Hob
Posted by Hob
20th April 2009ce
20:24

Messages in this topic: