The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Formby Forum Start a topic | Search
Formby
Re: Formby Point - Is it worth a trip?
4 messages
Select a forum:
baza wrote:
I go to Formby Point as often as I can...in the Summer. The beach draws me back, possibly because it is ever-changing and I never know what will be waiting for me. I went in January once and there was nothing there; best to wait until there has been no winter weather for a while.

Catch a train to Freshfields station or park your car in the National Trust carpark.

You've seen my pictures, you should know what to expect to see. When you enter the NT site, drive or walk down to the far carpark by the dunes, go through to the beach and walk left or right along the beach. At low tide, don't go down to the water's edge, the footprints aren't there. They are higher up the beach, but below the high tide mark. You'll see plenty of prints - of modern people who've recently passed by.

You should come across patches of hardened mud, grey in colour. You'll see different layers. This is where the ancient footprints are, you just have to find them amongst the more modern depressions. If you haven't seen anything within a mile, turn around and go in the other direction from the carpark.

If you go in May or June you should see something, although there's no way of knowing until you look.

I like Formby Beach and will be going again soon.

The Anthony Gormleys are a permanent fixture on nearby Crosby beach.

The standing stone in Liverpool:

http://www.themodernantiquaria[...]te/5964/robin_hoods_stone.html

You need permission to visit the Calderstones, they are locked up:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/248/calderstones.html

but it is well worth asking.

baza

Thanks for this; we were planning a trip to Crosby to see the Gormley men and thought we would chance a trip to Formby whilst in the area. However, we were planning on going next week, and given the current forecast, we may well wait until summer!

Thanks for the info

Vic

Reply | with quote
Vicster
Posted by Vicster
29th March 2010ce
13:16

Messages in this topic: