The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wiltshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Wiltshire
Re: Please look at my stone
45 messages
Select a forum:
On this forum I trot out the same old stories (ad nauseam) but one comes to mind after reading your comments. The Northumberland County Archaeologist was a job-share and I had both of them in a remote field, showing them a large supine stone row. The man one says 'look a cup and ring stone'. 'Are you sure that's not just erosion', says I. A bit more investigation showed that it was indeed a cup and ring stone, fixed to the ground, in this supposed stone row. On the record the archaeologists have their names as co-finders - I am not mentioned, but the placename is wrong. The stone row they decided was the remnant of a medieval field wall, and this was despite me repairing and rebuilding walls in that parish for the previous twenty three years! (I know what a wall bottom looks like).

So this is par for the course. The field will have been laid out using that stone, with others, as boundary markers, probably. Tool marks!

Reply | with quote
StoneGloves
Posted by StoneGloves
4th August 2010ce
16:02

In reply to:

Re: Please look at my stone (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: