The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Bambury Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
Bambury Stone
Re: Looks like it was right Rhiannon!
16 messages
Select a forum:
Yes I agree with everything you say. TMA is used a lot. Plus Google Earth, And everything archaeologists publish. Ironically, the only stuff that doesn’t get published is the detectorists’ findspots, at their insistence, as they know what would happen. Last week there was a press account of a Treasure payout for a hoard where two years after the original find the finders went back with a JCB to make sure there was nothing else. Totally legal of course.

“I'd be embarrassed to be paid off for finding (say) some gold cup or other.” Me too. Especially when the pay has to come from some impoverished local museum running a public appeal. If it’s a small amount, donate it. If it’s a big amount give them a big discount at least or donate a chunk back to the museum. Sheez! What decent person wouldn't? But the latest stats show only 9% of Treasure Rewards are renounced – and the snob in me says most of those will have been landowners donating their half of the rewards not the dentally needy lot. ;)

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
20th October 2011ce
08:09

Messages in this topic: