The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Bambury Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
Bambury Stone
Re: bredon coins
16 messages
Select a forum:
I suppose it is a bit like telling someone to get off at the Billy Mill Roundabout/ Hyndford Bridge/ Whitletts Roundabout when they are galloping full tilt towards draining their spuds...
How much more would we have known (or do we need to know) about the Romans and the way they buried vast pots of coins. if we'd let the archaeologists uncover the rest of the coins and bits of old pot? No-one knows. I can kinda understand how tricky it might be to turn around and leave an unlocked hole full of gold and wander off to try and find the nearest off-duty archaeologist.
I wonder if the guy up near Stirling who "found-the-four-gold-torcs-all-in-the-same-hole-the-very-first-time-he-ever-went-metal-detecting" could have stopped at the first one? Or could any of us?
If we dont pay these guys for their finds they'll get sold on eBay, to the dark side of collectors, melted down for scrap value or just lie in sacks in some geezer's welly cupboard.

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
28th October 2011ce
20:06

In reply to:

Re: bredon coins (nigelswift)

1 reply:

Re: bredon coins (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: