The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Bambury Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
Bambury Stone
Re: bredon coins
16 messages
Select a forum:
Rhiannon wrote:
Oh give over. What, do archaeologists have some superhuman powers of patience when they painstakingly dig out finds?

Yeah. That's right

Rhiannon wrote:
Give over.

I've seen Time Team run a JCB into turf. They dont actually know what's in the first couple of feet they are quickly scouring out. Usually ploughsoil. Stratification assumed gone. Otherwise it is very boring TV. Many times the "detectorists" find coins in the soil and turf they've JCB'd outta the ground.

Should the Time Team be "put on a training course" to trowel the first three feet? That is before "ripping the evidence out with a trowel".

I know at a recent dig I was a part of, the first three feet were shovelled out to get down to the point where the peat hit the natural. This was to find Mesolithic (and slightly earlier!). If a passing Roman had dropped his Denarii or As, it would have been about eighteen inches down. No-one looked. Was that not following "proper" archaeologocal procedures? Isn't all archaeology "questionable".

What if they hit a grave? It happens! Should they stop and leave the person's remains in peace. Some people think so.

And as Heritage Daily points out the lucky detectorists "did not technically break the law". So they didn't break the law. Good luck to the guy. I hope he enjoys his money, lives a long happy life and all the people who care about Roman Coins go and stare in wide wonder at what he dug outta the ground that day.

I once found a Roman Coin near Forfar (up in Angus). 2nd Century. Didnt use a metal detector. Didn't call the local archaeologist and didn't dig. Tree had flipped over. Bit of samian too (which I left). Funny old world.

Fuss over nothing but some guy's good luck!

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
29th October 2011ce
08:51

In reply to:

Re: bredon coins (Rhiannon)

1 reply:

Re: bredon coins (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: