The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Wolstonbury Forum Start a topic | Search
Wolstonbury
Re: Bronze Age Axe Head find at Wolstonbury
11 messages
Select a forum:
"I guess even WW2 shrapnel is the archaeology of the future, and will maybe one day be considered as mysterious and enigmatic as a BA axe head. Perhaps all such artifacts ought to be recorded and/ or left in situ? What do you reckon?.."

As someone who used to go field walking years ago, up and down ploughed icy fields getting colder by the minute I would say pick it up and give it to the relevant body. I went as part of an archaeology group, you would normally be in a field where 'finds' would be found because the data was already on record. Clean. draw and photograph, relate the find to its wider environment, the plough would eventually destroy such finds anyway. And as for picking over the 'waste soil' thrown over by trenching etc, the metal detector is a friend. Trouble with the M/D is that it is used for profit by some but as Rhiannon says look what we have in our museums, and how much more knowledge comes from such things, the rogues are in every corner of society - get rid of them....

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
23rd November 2012ce
18:21

Messages in this topic: