The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Western Isles Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
The Western Isles
Re: Gaelic: the language of Eden?
11 messages
Select a forum:
I saw the first performance of "Translations" at The Guildhall in Derry thirty-odd years ago. It's about the anglification of Irish Culture as the OS try to map the gaelic place names.
I have a lovely wee book called "Tramping In Arran" (note the double "r". ie. The Firth of Clyde Arran). It has a couple of very good fold-out, thin paper maps. One is a sort of panoramic map of all the peaks you can see from Goatfell and how far away they are. The other map is a map giving translations from Arran's old gaelic place names. My favourite is a tiny glen close to Catacol on the North west of the island. It translates as "The Glen Of The Castrated He-Goat". But I am also fond of an intriguing entry for the southern end of the island "Harbour Of The Pale Lad" near Bennan Head.
Is anything lost in translation? It's hard to tell sometimes.

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
11th April 2013ce
18:20

Messages in this topic: