The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Megalithic Archeo Astronomy
24 messages
Select a forum:
The Eternal wrote:
Hi bawn79,

There was a book published a few years ago called "Stonehenge, Neolithic Man and the Cosmos" by John North. This dealt with many prehistoric sites and astronomical alignments, taking into account positions of planets and stars as they were then. Some I found plausible, but other alignments just seemed to be clutching at straws.

As a reviewer, all I can say is that most of the book is good, plausible and enjoyable, but the last part deteriorates when the author overdoes the alignment bit. It's as if every site has to have an alignment. Worth a read though.

All the best,
TE.

Thanks for the tip

I have to agree with you - some such as alignments in passage tombs are hard to argue with - others like Beltany Tops which Boyle Sommerville claimed to have numerous alignments seem a bit far fetched.
Some of Clive Ruggles stuff is very good - I'm really not an expert of this at all.

He seems to think that a lot of the sites in south-west Ireland relate to the moon. Personally the benefits of tracking an 18.6 year cycle vs the yearly cycle doesnt make much sense. I guess if the maths fits then there isn't much you can argue about. Perhaps it had something to do with 'ritual'.

Reply | with quote
bawn79
Posted by bawn79
9th September 2013ce
13:45

In reply to:

Re: Megalithic Archeo Astronomy (The Eternal)

1 reply:

Re: Megalithic Archeo Astronomy (The Eternal)

Messages in this topic: