The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Corr Aille Spiral Forum Start a topic | Search
Corr Aille Spiral
Re: Corr Aille Disputed Antiquity
2 messages
Select a forum:
bawn79 wrote:
People may not have been able to view this link due to country restrictions over in the UK. However in the piece archaeologist Micheal O Coileain confirms that the spiral is likely to be dated to the Neolithic or bronze age. The report also says that it has been confirmed by a number of archaeologists and geologists.

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/[...]-rock-art-discovered-in-kerry/

I was able to watch this ok bawn ... I'm in the UK. I played it through again today for the friend I traveled to Ireland with. We had a conversation along the lines of how do you prove any stand alone rock art is prehistoric. My initial response was to say there should be other evidence/finds that can be carbon dated but I doubt if this was the case with a large percentage of rock art.
I have N.L. Thomas's book Irish Symbols of 3500BC (1988). According the author the spiral symbol represents the winter sun or the summer sun according to whether it is clockwise and closely wound or anti-clockwise and loosely wound. If this is still an accepted theory then perhaps the Corr Aille spiral represents the end of the harvest year and the onset of winter.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
2nd June 2014ce
21:01

In reply to:

Corr Aille Disputed Antiquity (bawn79)

Messages in this topic: