The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: Time to stop solstice stones access
49 messages
Select a forum:
Some of the comments suggest a range of opinion on the subject :)

I've never entirely understood the attitude EH take to the solstice visitors myself, particularly the summer solstice. Any arguments over religion are spurious at best. If you let that many people have access to the stones for one day, it seems like double standards to bar everyone else from them the rest of the time.

The current policy feels a bit like making an annual ritual sacrifice to a sea god or something. The thinking seems to be that it can be accepted because you only have to survive one night and everything will be okay again (until next time).

I do wonder if making the stones more accessible all year round (i.e. letting visitors inside the circle) might reduce the numbers who attend the solstice events, if part of the attraction is being able to get up close to the stones. Dunno if this is true though.

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
24th February 2015ce
19:06

Messages in this topic: