The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: Time to stop solstice stones access
49 messages
Select a forum:
Monganaut wrote:
TBH, this is the kind of cultural vandalism that we should be railing against, not access to an ancient monument a couple of times a year.

http://www.theguardian.com/wor[...]nt-artefacts-mosul-museum-iraq

I'm sick of our heritage being pickled in aspic. Stonehenge has been around for quite a while, and it's taken it's fair share of knocks during that time (hell, didn't Victorians chisel off keepsake to take home). Historically, some of the biggest 'vandals' have been bloody archaeologist re-erecting stones and using concrete props etc... Things like the oil will degrade over time, even if it isn't breaking down straight away. I am horrified at how people behave at these sites, but I still agree to access without paying, to all sites.

With respect Monganaut the points you make are not relevant to Stonehenge. Of course we should be railing about the Isis fighters destroying ancient artefacts in Mosul. And all the other barbaric acts perpetrated to terrorise. We should and we do ... tragically most of us feel powerless to make any difference.

Historically archaeologists/antiquarians have done a lot of damage not just by the use of cement (although not sure an effective alternative has yet been found) but much more so by excavations where prehistoric barrows have been left partially destroyed. None of this has a bearing on protecting Stonehenge - I cannot imagine why anyone would want to pour oil on the Stones in the name of celebrating the Solstice. This sort of wilful damage should at least carry a substantial fine.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
26th February 2015ce
21:15

Messages in this topic: