The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: Time to stop solstice stones access
49 messages
Select a forum:
Monganaut wrote:
Maybe they could set up cctv around the stones. They'd have evidence for any wanton vandalism and be able to make prosecutions, as long as you can catch the buggers of course.

I still don't think the mindless acts of a few dicks should close access for the generally well behaved masses. The amount of 'ritual' crap I see, and 'offerings' left at numerous sites beggars belief. It isn't just Stonehenge that's under 'attack'. with the exception of the graffiti, I don't even think it's even wanton damage, just an ill advised and poorly thought through act.

Maybe EH or whomever is responsible for these places could draw up and locate at each site a plaque stating an expected code of conduct when visiting these special places.

I agree other ancient sites do get vandalised - often by people who seem to have no perception that they are causing damage. Candles inside West Kennet Long Barrow come to mind. Stonehenge seems to be a unique case with the Solstice celebrations - although the stones are massive the site itself is quite small - unlike Avebury which remains free of any charge and seems to accommodate celebrations at the Solstices without too much hassle. I do recall being out there last summer leading up to the Solstice when there was a heavy police presence (with sniffer dogs) and warning notices about drugs.

I don't know if and how the Solstice is observed at other stone circles - Stonehenge is the one that gets all the publicity - I can understand why but have never had any desire to be there myself.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
27th February 2015ce
22:47

Messages in this topic: