The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: King Arthur responds
49 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:

I had my eyes opened about Stonehenge last summer when with a friend I walked from Woodhenge, following the helpful interpretation panels along the way. The best views of Stonehenge are from some distance off, following the route of the Avenue uphill is a worthwhile experience. I felt a bit sorry for the hundreds of visitors, many of whom had been brought by coach, to pay nearly £15 a time and yet they were missing out of the 'hidden' Stonehenge - which is actually free and and in clear view. From the landscape it looks down on.

The best views of Edinburgh Castle are from vantage points around the city and further afield. Some people are parted with their cash to stumble along the cobbles and look at the (mostly) Victorian buildings. Weird, but I suppose they are mostly from abroad and might be momentarily confused, mistaking "local custom" for "being ripped off".

The idea of paying to go and stand, wander round and look at either a historic monument like Stonehenge or a relatively modern building like Edinburgh Castle is weird. I just don't see any "purchase".

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
6th March 2015ce
07:37

In reply to:

Re: King Arthur responds (tjj)

1 reply:

Re: King Arthur responds (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: