The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: King Arthur responds
49 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
At least at Edinburgh Castle you get some "stuff" to look at (and our EH membership gets us in for free anyway). The view from Calton Hill is better though, definitely.

Yeah, Rnbra Castle you get "stuff"... you get victorian buildings, Mons Meg and Margaret's Chapel. There is also the Scottish National War Memorial (this being sited within the castle walls/ ticketed area also allows everyone to get into Edinburgh Castle for free - but not many people know that - you just say at the gate/ ticket booth that you are visiting the National War Memorial and into Edinburgh Castle you jolly well go - for free!).
Calton Hill's view is nice, the locals are very friendly, one guy who started chatting to me there one evening wanted to take me for a drink! Just saying!

But for Embra other hills, Arthur's Seat is best, Blackford takes a bit of beating, Caerketton is superb and the view from the top of Gowkshill (Mayfield Hill) above Dalkeith (now being absorbed into Embra via the South East wedge housing expansion) is utter bliss.

I suppose if I joined The National Trust For Scotland that would entitle me to get into Stonehenge for free. But it's the walk back that's the problem... and it's in such a state...

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
11th March 2015ce
00:13

In reply to:

Re: King Arthur responds (thesweetcheat)

1 reply:

Re: King Arthur responds (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: