The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Detectorists 2
77 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
tjj wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Not to be churlish (it's very amusing) but showing a standing stone as a good place to detect because medieval monks buried treasure by them was crass.

I accept what you are saying Nigel because I know how you feel about detectorists. Personally I thought the opening sequence was inspired. Surely they couldn't have known that it followed straight after 'The Last Kingdom' on BBC2 which is entertaining hokum about the Danes/Saxons/and King Alfred. The artifact deeply buried under a metre of soil closely resembled the Alfred Jewel ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Jewel
If the sequence inspires any metal detectorists to start closely examining the land around fallen standing stones in the hope of unearthing such a rare object then they really are stupid.

Judging by the unexpected places many finds seem to be found far away from standing/fallen stones or other such ancient remains, it would probably be the last place they would look anyway! Glad to see the programme still continuing in the laid back and relaxed way as the first series. Loved the Blankety Blank cheque book and Pen (not) find. Wonderful. The only bit I was 'concerned' about is where the baby was stashed away when they were in the field detecting (tic)!! Great stuff.

What I loved was the scenery, typical English soft landscape. Lugubrious always comes to mind when I see Andy's and Lance's faces and I thought the first scene was excellent, a historic note slyly snuck in.
As for babies, sure I saw two different ones, probably left sleeping under a tree, he did after all have a baby alarm.....

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
30th October 2015ce
12:39

In reply to:

Re: Detectorists 2 (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: