The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Detectorists 2
77 messages
Select a forum:
You're right that it's not damaging like the other two (and one of those was produced by PAS in a vain (as it turns out) attempt to save its own funding.

You could argue it two ways - they find almost nothing so no-one will emulate them or they ALMOST found something hugely valuable so lots of people will go out and do the same.

I wonder if Mr Crook will be able to resist the money shot - finding something that makes Andy and Lance millionaires?

My other gripe is I don't think PAS or recording has been mentioned. OK, the idea is that they've found nothing worth reporting but that in itself is conveying a false and damaging story. As you know, our (supported) estimate is that detectorists find 0.69 of a recordable artefact each per week, so the 8 Danebury club members would be finding 22 recordable finds a month. That's a lot of knowledge loss not to be depicting on the telly in just one of hundreds of (vastly larger) clubs. And it's why they'd all be banged up in most countries, sad, amusing or lyrical though the programme may be!

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
1st November 2015ce
14:55

In reply to:

Re: Detectorists 2 (Rhiannon)

3 replies:

Re: Detectorists 2 (Sanctuary)
Re: Detectorists 2 (Rhiannon)
Re: Detectorists 2 (Howburn Digger)

Messages in this topic: