The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Detectorists 2
77 messages
Select a forum:
I must confess to have watched with increased ambivalence. My personal view about metal detectors, as opposed to some who wield them, is that they should be an essential bit of kit when conducting a professional or supervised archaeological investigation. Yes, the two series throughout have centred on a club, where all finds are displayed at meetings, archaeological merit being not a factor. That this s h o u l d be the way to go for any puchaser and user has been implicit. However, I would have preferred that the programme gone further, by the additional showing at the end of each episode an advisory regarding club membership, perhaps the address of the national body, should one exist - I know not - finds reporting and trespass. There will inevitably be, among those fresh purchasers or who will recieve gifts this Christmas as a consequence of viewing, some who will ignore even this, let alone the series' implicit message. I have not forgotten in years gone by seeing figures in the gloaming on the Chiltern gap near Princes Risborough and doubting their intent, and having now found a site which, from study of aerial imagery seems to be of some size, and which, following advice from a senior archaeolgical figure I contacted, I will be alerting RCAHMS to, I am personally increasingly concerned by the activities of the unscrupulous. As for the series on an overall 'production' level, I think I preferred the sparser feel of series one. Throwing money at something does not always improve it. Yes, still enjoyed, but primarily for watching the performances of the central characters. That popularity seems to have merited a Christmas special, hmmm. I really hope that that and any future series at least has an advisory as per above. It must also be remembered that this series, contrary to my original view, may well be sold to and seen overseas, where the users of detectors may have even freer rein and fewer clubs. Sorry to be a perhaps unexpected killjoy, but this is now my measured view of Detectorists, and I'm sticking to it. I will continue to watch should there be more, but always with a degree of unease.

Reply | with quote
spencer
Posted by spencer
4th December 2015ce
11:22

In reply to:

Re: Detectorists 2 (moss)

1 reply:

Re: Detectorists 2 (moss)

Messages in this topic: