The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Detectorists 2
77 messages
Select a forum:
Peace to you too, Moss. No 'morality vendetta' from me. 'Twas I that started the Detectorists 2 topic here and at the Pump...was pleased to see there'd be more, having enjoyed the first series muchly. I cannot fault Mackenzie Crook's script. One very thoughtful guy, who, if archaeology is not a hobby - though I strongly suspect it is - has really done his homework, including detecting and its do's and don'ts. All there in the episodes, for those that want to, or are capable of, seeing and understanding. What I, along with others here, was not anticipating regardless of the aforementioned, was the degree of series evident success: box set, Christmas Special (!!!!!). I thought the thing would be a 'niche'. My view of detectors is the same as a rant from my days of yore about Volkswagen Golfs: great pieces of kit, sometimes in the wrong hands. The more hands, the greater the potential for misuse. That is what I now fear. As you may have read above, I have seen the unscupulous in action myself....the torches, the scant regard for crops... Yes, my concern has increased following my own site discoveries - I only went for a bit of a potter, but sometimes the unlikely does happen. Life's like that. That some so and so may get in there before professional archaeologists troubles me, though they'd have to escape the eye of the landowner, thankfully in this case extremely difficult. These people are, though, out there, some will have watched, some will join their ranks, some will stop at nothing. Two examples found purely coincidentally when entering the Lincoln mesolithic find earlier on TMA news, previous news items for the county: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/6289762.stm http://www.lindumheritage.co.uk/dig-duary-2007.htm I am pleased to see that budding detectorists have filled the ranks of a club to bursting point, via Nigel's link...sadly I am unable to read the piece due to the limited tech at my disposal. I wish them fun, friends and many ringpulls and the very rare find, promptly reported, that makes it all worthwhile. Sadly, though, there is a but.. aerial imagery and publicly available lidar make 21stC discoveries that much easier. There is growing financial hardship, and inevitably greater temptation, and, as said before, the greater the viewing numbers the greater the number of the unprincipled, whatever. As an aside, the present definition of 'trove' is too narrow, as borne out by the discovery of that remarkable Roman bronze mask which went for auction, thence overseas, for a huge sum. Anyway, to repeat, I will continue to watch, do enjoy, well done Mr Crook, do appreciate the levity - I hope some of my posts elsewhere bear this out (sorry!) - but, having had a good think, yes, there is a twinge. I have not read the lengthy toing and froing above. It is not my thing. This is my own personal view, I've said or written all that I want and need, and I respect yours if different. We will not fall out over it. This topic ends here for me. Have an X in return.

Reply | with quote
spencer
Posted by spencer
5th December 2015ce
14:14

In reply to:

Re: Detectorists 2 (moss)

Messages in this topic: